Caricature Kingdom

Friday, August 9, 2013

The Mad Art Of Caricature

I often get contacted by aspiring caricature artists asking where and how they can get started. I have tried to the best of my ability to help them in any way that I can. But the reality is that it is hard to explain how to "see" a caricature. Most of my caricatures that I do for Caricature Kingdom have very mild exaggeration. We have found through trial and error that this is the style that most people prefer to give as a caricature gift. On the flip side, my live drawings are more traditional and highly exaggerated and very fun in the moment. You are exaggerating the person in front of you, rather than giving someone a gift that shows them with a giant protruding nose. 

Back to the point..... Tom Richmond, one of my favorite caricature artists recently published a book called "The Mad Art of Caricature". This is an excellent place to start if you are n aspiring caricature artist. Tom explains things in a way that is easy to understand. Even a veteran artist can learn a lot from this book. So grab a copy read it front to back 3-4 times and then practice, practice, practice....... Before long you will be well on your way to becoming a caricature artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment